In Charlotte’s Web, Charlotte spins webs with words like “some pig” and “terrific” to describe Wilbur, who really isn’t “some pig” or “terrific.” But because Charlotte believes in him, Wilbur begins to believe in himself.
I remember when I was young, I overheard my dad tell someone what a good reader I was. I knew I liked to read, but I didn’t know I was good at it, until that day. In college, a professor told me I was one of the best speakers in our class. So I switched my minor to speech communication.
We believe what others say about us, good or bad. As moms, don’t we want our children to hear words that bless them?
“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” Proverbs 25:11
Here are some words of encouragement your boys would love to hear from you today:
- You are such a good big brother!
- You take good care of your dog.
- You have really grown into a good reader this year.
- I really appreciate when you take out the trash.
- You are a very talented drummer.
- Geometry is hard, but we’re so proud of how you’ve stuck with it and learned so much.
- Thank you for helping out more around the house when I was sick.
- That is your best drawing yet!
- We know we can trust you with this cell phone, because you’ve shown us how responsible you are.
- You are awesome!
Compliment their character. Encourage their skills and talents. Praise them for their helpfulness. Speak words of encouragement to them and see them become who you say they can be!